From: Alexander Nasonov (alnsn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-27 12:31:34

Douglas Gregor wrote:
> I'm not completely against the finer-grained approach, but I've seen
> enough problems with it in other projects to cause some concern. Have
> you ever maintained a Linux system using Gentoo? It's nearly
> impossible to duplicate (and, thus, diagnose) errors from one system
> to the next, because nobody has exactly the same set of components.
> Often, compiling a new component will break because of some minor
> incompatibility with another component, forcing you to roll back
> something.
I agree completely.
I've been using Gentoo for more then an year updating it regularly. Most
of the time it was fine, thanks to great Gentoo team. But sometimes I
had to resolve errors myself. Finally, when it failed to update
completely because python stopped working I decided to install FreeBSD.
  Two weeks later there was another fault and I replaced my Gentoo with
FreeBSD.
Gentoo is too flexible.

--
Alexander Nasonov