From: David Maisonave (dmaisonave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-30 16:12:50

"Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> David Maisonave wrote:
>
> > On my test, reference-link is over 25% faster than reference-count
> > logic for initialization.
>
> This only matters if the only thing you do is initialize. This is
> best-case
> scenario for reference-linked for both performance and memory use. How
often
> is that the case in real code?
>
> Then there are thread safety, custom deleters, weak_ptr support,
> enable_shared_from_this, and competition from intrusive_ptr on the low
end,
> which should be even faster in ST mode.

One of the main points of doing reference logic, is to increase
performance during initialization.
So this is a key test when testing reference logic performance.

The test showed a big difference in initialization and in copying
containers of smart pointers.

There was very little difference when iterating through the container,
but a big difference when copying the container of smart pointers.

The smart_ptr supports thread safety, custom deleters, and
intrusive_ptr.

I'm not sure how important weak_ptr's are, and I have not seen a good
case for their requirement.
I'm open minded, and I would like to see someone put a good argument for
their required usage.

What is ST mode?
And what exactly is enable_shared_from_this?