From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-31 10:44:16

"Hartmut Kaiser" <hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> normally, the review period of the Fixed Strings library written by Reece
> Dunn ended today. All we got so far are 3 reviews, which is too less to make
> a proper decision. I really would like to encourage you to submit a review
> for this library to get a representative result. For this reason I'ld like
> to extend the review period for another week until February 5th to allow for
> more reviews. I'm convinced, that a Fixed Strings library would make a good
> addition to Boost and in the end it should be useful to a lot more of people
> than to the 3 of us who send in a review.

For what it's worth, if there's another review I intend to vote
strongly against. I have nothign against Reece or against this
particular design for a fixed strings library. As we discuss this
issue I become more and more convinced that using fixed sized strings
at all is just wrong in principle 99.9% of the time.

We could get a lot more mileage out of a fixed-capacity allocator,
when such a thing is needed. And it would be lots more effective if
allocators had a realloc interface as has often been proposed, and if
basic_string were forced to use it use it.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting