From: Gennadiy Rozental (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-01 19:31:29

> Yes. What do you get from those macros that's very useful beyond what
> BOOST_ASSERT supplies? I really want to know. Some people I'll be
> consulting with next week want to know about testing procedures for
> C++, and if there's a reason to recommend Boost.Test, I'd like to do
> that.

So you choose to use BOOST_ASSERT. That essentially means that you couldn't
have more than one failure. Now believe it or not there exist the whole
different testing culture where people starts with *all* of their assertions
failing. And then they are working to "fix" them all. And it's not that rare
(at best - nowdays TDD is getting widely spread).
  The Test Tools provide wide variety of "check" different from trivial
assert. Their primary advantage is they provide as much information as
possible in case of failure. With assert based testing you bound to invoke
the debugger in 90% of case if detected failures and only in 10% it's clear
from output what is going on. With more smart tools you could deduce error
cause without debugging in 90% and only 10% require more detailed excurtion
inside test module. Also BOOST_ASSERT is no help when you need to test that
particular expression does emit some exception.
   The Execution Monitor helps by catching all errors and reporting them in
similar manner. If BOOST_ASSERT( expr ) emit unexpected exception. you have
no choice but dig into your program to see what is going on. With Execution
Monitor there is bog chance that an exception gets detected and reported
automatically. You don't like that it's catching fatal system erros either.
But with Unit Test framework it's easily configurable.
   Another topic is test organization. Boost.Test allows to build complex
complex test trees. In addition it's automate task of testing C++ templates
for different set of template parameters of parameterized function with
different set of runtime arguments.
   Latest addition is an ability to test exceptions safety (along the line
of the work you did) and facility for logged expectation testing (mostly
useful for interaction/boundary testing). There is more to it. If you are
really interrested check the docs (well better wait till we update them)

Regards,

Gennadiy