From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-02 17:58:52

"Edward Diener" <eddielee_at_[hidden]> wrote
> Arkadiy Vertleyb wrote:
> > "Paul Giaccone" <paulg_at_[hidden]> wrote
> >
> >> "Essentially, Boost needs to sell itself as something that no C++
> >> programmer would want to be without. Think how the adman would write
it:
> >> "C++ getting you down? Spending hours tracking down that memory leak?
> >> Then try Boost! It will change your life!" Well, maybe not, but
> >> something along these lines would certainly go a long way to showing
why
> >> anyone should be using Boost.
> >
> > While I completely agree, I can't help but mention that people fluent in
> > this kind of language
>
> What kind of language ? Do you mean writing correct English ?

No, I don't mean English.

> If one's
> primary language is not English I can well understand this, but if one's
> primary language is English it is that person's own fault that he/she
> can not write English well enough to be understood by others.
>
> Being very fluent in English myself, I have volunteered in the past to
> help other Boost developers write better English

This is very much appreciated...

> but since no one has
> ever taken me up on it, I do not think it is acceptable to claim that
> the inability to write English is a stumbling block to writing decent
> documentation.

Well, this is not about documentation... This is about the "language" sales
people use to convince kids that Coca-cola and chips is the best food in the
world. I believe this kind of language is pretty much international.

I do agree with Martin Wille that this kind of advertisement may have a
negative rather than positive effect, especially when the developers are
concerned.

Regards,
Arkadiy