From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-02 20:22:25

"David Abrahams" wrote
> "Andy Little" writes:

>> You cant escape the fact that writing documentation is the most tedious,
>> rotten,
>> boring, miserable, mind-numbing job imaginable ***.
>
> I disagree. Finding the right way to explain something deepens one's
> own understanding of it and -- very often -- uncovers real problems
> with the design.

This is true, very true but that isnt an enjoyable feeling. IDocumentation is
hard work in itself, but it feeds back to the design, so now you need to redo
the design and redo existing documentation. Its a vicious circle.

> I think the skills required are really essential to
> becoming a great software designer. If you give it the time it
> deserves and treat it as part of the process rather than just
> something to do after you've written the code, it can even be
> enjoyable.

I think that quote would make a great introduction to
<more/writingdoc/introduction.html>. Looking at the current introduction I
certainly dont get the feeling that its any more than a chore. I'm almost
inspired by your last paragraph myself ;-)

> It may be awful for some people, but it doesn't have to be so for
> everyone. Your statement is just a little bit too self-fulfilling for
> my taste ;-)

I shall mediate on your words and attempt to attack my documentation with
renewed vigour!

regards
Andy Litte