From: Orjan Westin (orjan.westin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-03 09:47:58

Brian Allison wrote:
> Orjan Westin wrote:
>
>> Paul Giaccone wrote:
>
>>> Contrary to what some have said, Boost *does* need to be sold.
>

>> Well, that statement can mean a lot of things, but I believe you mean
>> that it is not, as currently presented, attractive to new-comers.
>
>> I hope you don't mean that it needs to be sold in an evangeligal
>> manner. :-)

> Can someone intelligently define for me what is being meant here
> by "evangelism"?

When using the word I meant a proselytizing sell, focused on conversion,
with little or no regard for whether what you are selling is actually
fitting for the person you're selling to.

I used that word because I wouldn't want a faith-based presentation, but one
founded on facts and informed choice.

> I had thought it was the act of building a bridge
> for someome from their current world view to a different world view.

www.dictionary.com gives two definitions of evangelism:
1. Zealous preaching and dissemination of the gospel, as through missionary
work.
2. Militant zeal for a cause.

I wouldn't expect someone who is evangelising according to one of the above
definitions to concede that there may be other answers that are more fitting
in some circumstances.

For instance, I could use boost::spirit to parse a simple XML file, but I'd
rather use expat and the C++ wrappers I wrote for it some years ago. It
works, I know how it works, and it's quick and simple for me to include in
my project.

I don't think it would happen, which is why I put a smiley there, but it's
concievable that some people would insist I use the boost library, since
that's the "one true way", just like there are people who hold similar views
on such "religious" issues as open source, free software, and Apple
Macintosh.

Hopefully that clarifies what I meant.

While I'm posting anyway, it strikes me that one way to get people to use
boost would be to ask Herb Sutter include it in the Visual C++ distribution,
especially now that there is a free edition for hobbyists.

And for my next trick, I'll don copper armour, climb to the top of a high
mountain during a thunderstorm and shout that all gods are bastards. ;-)

Orjan