From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-03 11:50:41

Thorsten Ottosen <tottosen_at_[hidden]> writes:

>>>generally it is hard to say what is important to all people. I do think,
>>>however, that splitting a range into different sub-ranges is a fairly
>>>common activity. Some ranges are more common:
>>>
>>>[begin,found)
>>>[found,end)
>>

>> For that drop_front works great.
>
> how do you construct the range [begin,found) if the algorithm
> returns ther range [found,end) ?

Maybe you just write an algorithm for that?

There are lots of ways to approach this. Maybe you want an uber-find
that returns a quadruple of iterators from which you can choose:

     uber_find( x, 5 ).range(0,2);

or

     uber_find( x, 5 ).range(_0,_2);

that is, it grabs the 0th (beginning) and 2nd (after-found-element)
iterators from the result.

>>>for example, take unique:
>>>
>>>erase( rng, unique(rng) ); // unique should return[found,end)
>>>copy( unique<return_begin_found>(rng), out );
>>>
>>>but I'm sure that sometimes you want to include the found value in the

>>>I'm not that keen on providing to many new algoriths.
>>

>> What do you think this thing called "find" with the explicit template
>> parameter is, if not a new algorithm?!
>
> It's a utility wrapper of an existing std algorihtm.

And my suggestion is not?

> You'l need to implement a new version of find so that it works for
> forward iterators, you don't just forward to an existing.

Actually you can, if you're willing to pay a little more.
Writing a new one is just an optimization.

>>>it is necessary if you want the algorithm to be able to return
>>>either an iterator or a range.
>>

>> I don't want that, but please explain.
>
> For eaxmple, take unique():
>

> template< range_return_value re, class Rng >
> inline BOOST_DEDUCED_TYPENAME range_return<Rng,re>::type
> unique( Rng& r )
> {
> return range_return<Rng,re>::pack( std::unique(boost::begin(r),
> boost::end(r)),
> r );
> }
>
> this allows the algorithm to return an iterator like the old version.

How is that choice made?

> It also illustrates that if we change the template parameter to
> a function parameter, pack() becomes a big function with a switch case.

I don't see it. It looks like my function is a new overload of find.

>>>you get an empty range back if nothing is found:
>>

>> Of course you do. That wasn't my question. In the original example
>> you were searching for 5. So what happens when you ask for the range
>> beginning just before (or just after, for that matter) 5 in a
>> single-element range containing just 5?
>
> then you get an empty range.

Even when you're asking for the range from found-1 to end?
In that case, there is no "found-1" position, right?

> [Dave:]
> >Anyway, how do you check for success? What if 5 is the first element?
> > Do you get an empty range or do you just get v back?
>
>>>if( find( v, 6 ) )
>>>{ ... }

>>>yes, but only if you're not passing the range directly to another
>>>algorithm.
>>

>> Now you're arguing with yourself. I'm happy to sit back and see who
>> wins this one.
>

> You asked how you check for success. My reply was the if-statement above.

Huh? The result of find is now convertible to bool?

> If you ask for a range [begin,found) when you search for 5, and 5 is the
> fist element, then of course you get back an empty range.

Yes, but suppose you ask for [found-1,end)?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting