From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-06 09:15:12

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 08:30:57 -0500, David Abrahams wrote

> > I have one constructive criticism of the style regarding usability.
> > Research has established that we humans find it difficult to read very
> > long lines of text. The optimum seems to be around 10 - 15 words per line.
> >
> > I am of the belief that this should be achieved by putting the text in
> > tables that restrict the line length. See my site at:
> >
> > http://www.dramatec.co.uk/boost-qnx6/
>
> I'm on your side of this debate, and I'm pretty sure Rene is, too.
> But there's a long history here. Lots of people resented the fact
> that so much of their screen real-estate was being "wasted"

I'm one of the group that argued for the current approach. I'd be more swayed
by the 'readability research' if the boost site were a blog or something for
reading. But in large part the boost site is scanned -- people trying to find
the right place to read a paragraph or two. The more scrolling you force the
less usability in my view.

Jeff