From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-06 12:22:46

Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
>Andy Little wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering if this doesnt bring up a point regarding this
> > review. In hindsight was fixed_strings ready for review?
> >
> > http://www.boost.org/more/formal_review_process.htm#Review_Manager
> >
> > In hindsight ,which is a wonderful thing, shouldnt review
> > manager have stopped fixed_strings review? Can review manger
> > stop a review?
> >
> > I say this not to criticise Hartmut( I hope that experience
> > as review manager will mean he will be interested to do the
> > job again), but to enhance the character of the review
> > managers role and point up this case as one example of what
> > pitfalls review manager should look out for when thinking
> > about future review requests.
>
>Frankly, I was thinking about not to start the review for this library. And
>from todays point of view I shouldn't have done so. It's a learning curve
>for me as well and I certainly will be more proactive in this direction in
>the future.
>
>In the end I decided to start the review regardless of the problems because
>I thought (and I still think) it's worth to have discussions about the kind
>of paradigm the Fixed Strings library represents and even if we had these
>concrete problems we also have had some very interesting and clearifying
>discussions on this topic.

When developing the library and discussing it on the list, I got some
feedback, but that was different to the comments I got here. Because of
this review, I have a list of areas in the design and documentation that
need to be reworked in order to get it to review quality.

This is a learning curve for me that will help me write better code and a
better library in the future.

I know that the library has been rejected for now, but there has been some
discussion whether the library is actually needed as Dave pointed out. As
Andy Little notes, there *is* interest in the library, so there appears to
be a need for it.

See you for round two :)
- Reece