From: Jurko Gospodnetic (jurko_for_boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-07 03:55:27

  Hi Darren.

> "Shmem wants to be portable across multiple operating systems so that it
> can not count with an operating systems that maps shared memory to the
> same base address in all processes in the system"
>
> I think I'm stuck on "can not count with".

  I believe OP meant 'can not count on the OS mapping a shared memory
segments to the same base memory address in all processes in the system
that connect to it'. Some (like HP-UX) do this, while others (like Windows)
do not (at least not by default) so this is not something that can be relied
on
and still have a portable library.

  Hope this helps.

  Best regards,