From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-07 17:42:54

Hello everyone,

This is just a quick summary of the changes I'm trying to get ready for
the next version of boost.

I've added a forward header for the library, which is intended for
adding hash support to other boost libraries without pulling in the
whole library. This is currently located at
<boost/functional/hash_fwd.hpp>, but it might better placed in a detail
directory. I'll document this soon. Although, I'm having some problems
with some compilers, so I might revert this for the next release.

I've changed this library to use forward declarations for the standard
library, so that it doesn't need to include every header it supports.
This is of course non-standard, but when it was discussed before there
were no objections. To make my life easier I'm just including all the
headers for compilers/libraries where it's tricky to get right. So far
that's more recent versions of Borland and the gcc library in debug mode.

This is to make a move to using a single header for the hash library,
deprecating the <boost/functional/hash/*.?pp> headers (of course, it's
not required, but makes a single header more acceptable).

After that I will add the BOOST_HASH_NO_EXTENSIONS macro I discussed
before to allow the user to turn of the extensions. I'm going to try get
this all in before Friday (I've already implemented most of this but
don't want to dump the whole thing into the regression tests in one big go).

Also, I'm changing the portable example to reflect some portability
problems that I've discovered - but please, don't review it just yet,
I'm still experimenting.

And if I'm lucky, I might even throw in support for std::complex.

Sorry that this is all very last minute, I haven't had internet access
at home recently, and only limited access right now. I'll revert
anything which is problematic as none of this is particularly important.

Oh, and it looks like I can't access CVS tonight so it isn't up to date.
So it goes.

Daniel