From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-09 11:14:01

Matthias Troyer wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2006, at 7:33 PM, Robert Ramey wrote:
>
>> This has been mentioned from time to time and will eventually be
>> changed.
>>
>> The original rationale was that in some platforms it was 64 bits
>> which seemed wasteful for binary archives - that is 2 G Objects
>> seemed enough.
>>
>> Now it seems that we'll really need a special type for collection
>> count.
>>
>> In anycase, it can't be just changed without making obsolete existing
>> archives - so its kind of a slow process.
>
> It can still be changed and be backward-compatible by bumping the
> version number.

That's what I was refering to. That effectively means that it can
only be changed between boost versions - one can't just make
the fix on his particular system.

It's still not clear what this should be changed to - if in fact it should
be changed at all. std::size_t is a candidate - but I was under the
impression that there might be interest in defining a special type
for this - like collection_size_t or ?

Robert Ramey