From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-12 12:08:38

Matthias Troyer wrote:

> That's easy to answer: to achieve separation between archive format
> and serialization, which is, I believe what you advocate. Leave it to
> the archive to decide how to serialize sizes of collections - it
> could be different than serializing the integer type used for
> std::sized_t

I don't dispute this - it's just not clear how using std::size_t creates
a problem.

> size_t has problems with portable binary archives.

Well, lots of types have problems with portable binary archives.

In anycase, using a strong_typedef would be fine with me. I believe
that this is what you

I believe that you want to use a BOOST_STRONG_TYPEDEF for
this purpose and that sounds just fine to me. I still don't see why its
needed
but I haven't looked at the particular issues regarding collections
in the depth that you have so I'm willing to take your word for
the proposition that distinguishing it is a good thing. No downside and
distinguishes this particular usage.

Robert Ramey