From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-12 19:09:33

David Abrahams wrote:
> Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>>> I don't really understand what that entails. Don't we already have
>>> website content?
>> The current website content is not fully translated to the new website
>> structure. Some one needs to go in and take the various documents, not
>> the library docs,
>
> Meaning, e.g., the contents of the more/ directory?

Yes.

>> and find a place for them in the new structure.
>
> By "a place" you mean a directory path?

Yes. Although more accurately it would be which of the sections (the
tabs on top) it should go into.

>> Then redact into XHTML (with the help of HTMLtidy)
>
> Easy, I guess?

Sometimes :-)

>> fixing any errors
>
> Doesn't Tidy do that for me?

Not always :-( Tidy will sometimes skip some changes when it can't
decide a on how to fix it. Inconsistent use of ID and NAME in anchors
tends to annoy it for example. And it doesn't fix semantic errors. For
example dead links, obsolete text, missing TOC if relevant, etc.

>> and possibly rewrite some, etc.
>
> Why is rewriting part of this job?

Because some of the existing docs may not make much sense in the new
structure. For example the getting started would need to get chopped up
as there's a download page (or they will be). There's probably more
things like that, but I guess rewrite is too strong of a word. Perhaps
"editing" is more accurate.

>> I've done that for some of the documents. But I just don't have the
>> free time to do it for all of them in the next few weeks, or even
>> months, to get the new site ready for the release.
>
> I'd be happy to volunteer if I can really understand what it means.

I think you got the basic idea with your first questions. The details
technical details are...

1. Checkout the sources: cvs co user_at_[hidden]:/cvsroot/boost website.
The directory structure under that is fairly obvious.

2. Download and install tidy from <http://tidy.sourceforge.net/>. The
latest version is always best.

3. Pick some old page that isn't translated and find a place for it.

4. Copy the website/workplace/template.html file to where you want the
page, with a reasonable new name of course.

5. Edit the various SSI (server side includes) references, i.e. the
"#include" to match the section you are in for the sidebars. It should
be changing the single "/common/sidebar-boost.html" reference to one of:

     /common/sidebar-boost.html
     /common/sidebar-community.html
     /common/sidebar-development.html
     /common/sidebar-doc.html
     /common/sidebar-support.html

6. Edit the reference to the section specific CSS in the head to match.
Similar to #5, this section specific CSS controls the tab that shows up
as active.

7. Copy over from the old HTML into the "section-body" div. Where the
"<p>{stuff}</p>" placeholder is.

8. Run tidy as such:

   tidy --tidy-mark no -i -wrap 78 -m -asxhtml --doctype strict /fname/

This forces the document into XHTML regardless of the content so it
cleans up most of the content.

9. Open the file in your browser and adjust the source as needed, fix
links, etc. WARNING: The header, sidebars, and parts of the footer will
not show up as they require running within Apache to get inserted by
SSI. That's OK, the style of the content should be accurate.

10. Commit into CVS, and some time later my test server will resync with
CVS (it does so on 10 minute intervals) and you'll see the page in the
full context.

11. To add links to the sidebars, edit the appropriate menu file in
"/common/menu-yyy.html" and add an item.

** I'll the above to the website for reference, much later tomight. **

> BTW, the new website design suffers a bit from a lack of structure.
> Lines or colored panels used to separate the main text columns might
> be helpful.

Yea, I think it's just an effect of the main page since it has less
content than the rest. I'll see what I can do, most likely shaded boxes
for the news and downloads sections. Thanks for the suggestion :-)

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything