From: Pavel Antokolsky aka Zigmar (zigmar_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-16 14:06:06

On 2/16/06, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Which is why we assume pointers may be NULL. Not so with references.
> Everything you've just said misses the point by such a wide margin
> that I don't know where to begin, and I don't have time to finish
> right now, so I'll just say this:
>
> When a precondition is violated, the programmer that violates it "is
> the problem." I advocate a system that requires fewer
> preconditions, and thus offers fewer opportunities for anyone to "be
> the problem."
It looks to me that you are talking about different things. I think
Ion agrees about invariants but advocating an interface that can be
used without exceptions, to make the library accessible to the
platforms with no exception available. And without exceptions, you
can't ensure that no object with invalid state is constructed. So
there is two choices - or to provide an exception-only interface and
strong invariants, or to allow the library to be used in a restricting
embedded environment.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Best regards,