From: Beth Jacobson (bethj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-16 17:05:22

David Abrahams wrote:

> It's a nice page, but I'd like to know what it accomplishes that isn't
> accomplished by the "libraries by category" list.

"By Category" is good for people who are looking for a solution to a
specific issue, while "By Type" is geared more toward general areas of
interest. If I'm starting a project that deals with a lot of text
processing, I'll want to look at categories. If I'm just looking for
ways to make my code a little more stable, "By Type" would be the better
choice.

Maybe instead of having a whole new page though, it would be better to
combine the two approaches into one. My "Advanced" and "Bleeding Edge"
groups don't much advantage over the Generic and Metaprogramming
categories, but I think there's value in grouping all the "Tweaks"
together, and adding categories like "Simple Utilities" and "General
Use" would cut down on the number of libraries that end up in the black
hole of "Miscellaneous".