From: Joaquín Mª López Muñoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-17 09:49:42

Thorsten Ottosen ha escrito:

> Dear All,
>
> I have just added serialization to Boost.Ptr container.
> I briefly discussed an issue with Robert, namely
> that the current implementation calls clear() before
> reading the new values.
>
> The alternative is to provide roll-back guarantee by default
> by creating a local container and swap() in the end.
> By default this would temporarily use more memory.
>
> IMO we should go for the strong guarantee.
> Any thoughts?

I would NOT go for the strong guarantee for the following
two reasons:

1. Given the basic guarantee, all-or-nothing semantics can
be implemented externally, and as efficiently as you'd do it
internally.
2. It might be of interest to keep a partially recovered object.
For instance, think of the situation in which a container is being
marshalled thru a socket and you lose internet conectivity.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo