From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-18 04:21:35

"Rene Rivera" <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Jeff Garland wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:35:19 -0500, David Abrahams wrote

>>> Useful, though could be handled with an icon.

>>> I don't know what that means.

>>> Useful.
>>
>> Small glitch with these categories -- 90% of date-time can be used without
>> building the library now. Large percentage of the users probably don't need
>> the lib. Same with graph. Last I knew only the graphviz feature required
>> building a library. So not sure how you deal with these kind of
>> complications...
>
> Simple. You leave it to the very capable human brains to decide what the
> seemingly conflicting information is by providing as much detail as
> possible. For example the graph lib would be described as header-only,
> needs-building, and autolink. In other words, we are not giving any
> guarantees as to the level of functionality based on what parts of a
> library one uses. For example the threads lib is usable in both static
> and dynamic lib modes, yet you may get different functionality based on
> the platform you are on.
>
> So I say don't worry about it, and just give users the info and let them
> use the info.

Its a shame this couldnt use a fuzzy logic approach.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-fuzzy/

Library X - DOESNT need building
Library Y - MAY need building
Library Z - POSSIBLY needs building
Library E - PARTLY needs building
Librarry J n- REALLY needs building
Library K - STRONGLY needs building
Library W - REALLY STRONGLY needs building
Library A - POSSIBLY PARTLY needs building.

Similarly for compilers status.

hmmm I can hear David Abrahams laughing again ...!

;-)

regards
Andy Little