From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-20 23:16:55

PQS Physical Quantities System, is now in a reasonably complete state, so I
hereby request a Formal Review.

pqs is designed to simplify modelling physical-quantities in C++ programs. The
library will eventually include 3 related types:

t1_quantity where the dimension and units are fixed.
t2_quantity where the dimension is fixed but the units can be modified at
runtime.
t3_quantity where the dimension and units can be modified at runtime.

Thie subject of the Formal Review will be the t1_quantity - the first to be
implemented.

*t1_quantity features*

The t1_quantity is a C++ representation of a physical_quantity with the
dimension and units fixed at compile-time.

The t1_quantity has many similar features to an inbuilt-type...

* Concrete type with simple, consistent semantics close to those of built-in
    types.
* Can match speed and code size performance of built-in types, while being much
    more user-friendly to work with.
* Requires no special framework to use ... but with added functionality:

        * Strong type checking enforces dimensional integrity, catching
           calculation errors at compile time.
        * Automated unit conversion reduces drudgery.
        * Being self documenting using pqs helps code clarity.
        * Increases programmer satisfaction and enhances productivity.

The latest version is pqs_3_0_6, which is available as a .zip from the 'Physical
Quantities Units' subdirectory in the Vault.

Try this tinyurl as a shortcut to downloading pqs: http://tinyurl.com/7m5l8

The library has been tested (successfully) on the following compilers:

VC7.1, VC8.0, GCC3.2, GCC4.0.

Assuming this review request is successful I am looking for a review manager to
supervise the review process. Heres a quick reminder of the Noble and
Outstanding qualities required of this fine position:

http://www.boost.org/more/formal_review_process.htm#Review_Manager

I have spent a fair amount of time on the documentation, with styling courtesy
of the Quickbook guys and very nice it is too (the styling that is). I would
appreciate feedback on the content and presentation of the documentation
especially, as a part of the rationale behind pqs is to provide a common
specification ,and to make code self documenting thus reducing the need for
extensive in-house documentation of source code.

Is the documentation easy to understand?
Is it adequately laid out? Is the layout comprehensible?
Can you find the information you want easily?
Is there any information lacking?
Are there enough examples?
Is the technical section acceptable?

I would sure appreciate any comments or guidance on improving the documentation,
especially from authoritative sources.

Comments on the design and use of the library will also be generously accepted,
together with suggestions for improvements and enhancements.

The library comes complete with a selection of useage examples in the usual
<libs/pqs/examples/> directory as well as tests in <libs/pqs/tests/>

regards
Andy Little