From: Stefan Slapeta (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-26 10:12:02

Paul A Bristow wrote:
> Sorry for an Off-topic question, but does anyone know of a C/C++
> Implementation of a C++ algorithm based on the paper by
> Robert G. Burger and R. Kent Dybvig, entitled:
> "Printing Floating-Point Numbers Quickly and Accurately"
> http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=989393.989430 ACM subscribers only
> http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/cache/papers/cs/2654/http:zSzzSzwww.cs.indiana.e
> duzSz~burgerzSzFP-Printing-PLDI96.pdf/printing-floating-point-numbers.pdf

For me that's not completely off-topic as I always wished boost could
provide this algorithms one day :-) However, I'm not really an expert in
this field so I never started working on it.

Nevertheless, there is an earlier paper by David Gay from 1990 for which
an implementation exists. AFAIK Mozilla's JavaScript implementation also
uses a java port of it. Although I have downloaded Burger's paper
(published in 1996, IIRC) once, I never investigated what's
different/improved there.

Gay's implementation can be found both at
http://www.netlib.org/fp/index.html
and
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/gay90correctly.html
(seems to be down at the moment).

If you also need the papers, tell me and I send them offlist.

Stefan