From: Stefan Roiser (stefan.roiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-01 03:59:35

On 1 Feb 2006, at 07:06, Ion Gaztañaga wrote:

>> foo::myFunction will be invoked through a stub function which is part
>> of the dictionary library for class foo. A dictionary library may be
>> dynamically loaded in a program.
>>
>> The source code for this dictionary library is produced in a non-
>> intrusive way with a python script (genreflex.py). Besides the stub
>> functions this dictionary source code contains the information about
>> all types, scopes, members one wants to generate the reflection
>> information for.
>
> This sounds similar to another CERN project: Cint
> (http://root.cern.ch/root/Cint.html), the C/C++ interpreter. Do they
> share code?

As you may see from the Reflex web page (cern.ch/reflex) Reflex has
moved recently into the ROOT project. ROOT currently uses Cint as
dictionary and interpreter. We are currently working full steam on a
merge of Reflex with Cint. This means that Cint soon will be able to
use the Reflex dictionary system.

> This reflection method seems interesting (although a native
> one would be better no doubt).

I very much agree with you, native reflection for C++ would be the
best thing we could have.

> In addition to your library I would
> encourage Cint guys to present the library to Boost (for example, they
> could use the Wave preprocessor for complex C/C++ instead of writing
> their own). A C/C++ interpreter would be killer for Boost (having also
> native<->interpreted transitions).

Thanks for the information I will discuss this with the Cint developers.

--
Stefan Roiser
CERN, PH Department