From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-01 12:27:40

David Abrahams wrote:
> Stefan Roiser <stefan.roiser_at_[hidden]> writes:

>>> Very interesting. Where do you get the object code for
>>> foo::myFunction? Or have you implemented a full C++ interpreter?
>> foo::myFunction will be invoked through a stub function which is part
>> of the dictionary library for class foo. A dictionary library may be
>> dynamically loaded in a program.
>
> Soooo.... what about templates? Do you have to do something to
> manually instantiate them? Or do you do some kind of on-the-fly
> compilation?

Since templates are not types, I would leave out the instantiation of
templates into types, which is a compile-time mechanism, from a run-time
reflection system, and concentrate instead on finding information about
types ( and objects ), and invoking objects from types. Of course an
already instantiated template class or template function is a type, and
should be subject to run-time reflection like any other type.