From: Martin Adrian (adrianm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-01 15:56:51

Robert Ramey <ramey <at> rrsd.com> writes:
> the advantages of C++/CLI are not obvious to me. Could you enumerate them?

Depends on what you compare it to. A few advantages I can see are

1. Compared to some other popular .Net languages
- Templates
- Stack semantics
- Deterministic destruction

2. Compared to C++
- Easy access to a huge "standard" library including GUI, WebServices and
databases.

I don't know if these things are advantages for your applications or if they
outweight the disadvantages but they can for some of mine. I assume a lot of
c++ programmers will move in and out of the .Net world and switch between C++
and C++/CLI frequenctly. Boost (and STL) support in both worlds allows both
code and knowledge reuse. Not all of boost makes sense to use in C++/CLI but I
think some like multi_index, lambda, mpl, tuple and filesystem has a place
there.