From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-06 03:08:31

Dave,
in Boost.Python testsuite, there's test 'exec' defined like this:

 run ../test/exec.cpp <lib>../build/boost_python
      : # program args
      : exec.py
      : # requirements
      $(PYTHON_PROPERTIES)
        <define>BOOST_PYTHON_STATIC_LIB
        <define>BOOST_PYTHON_STATIC_MODULE

Is static linking to Boost.Python intended here specifically, say, because the test
will never work with dynamic linking, or just to test static linking?

I'm asking because in V2, that uses dynamic linking in this test, the following link
error is produced:

   exec.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "class
   boost::python::api::object __cdecl boost::python::exec(

See:

  http://tinyurl.com/hxo2t

I'm about to change V2 Jamfile to use static linking, but wanted to check
with you that static linking is indeed required and that the above error is
not V2 fault.

Thanks,
Volodya