From: Emile Cormier (emilecormier_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-07 16:13:38

Martin Bonner wrote:
> [...]

I've just run some tests on an ARM platform (arm-elf-gcc), and sizeof(u)
from Martin's example above always returns 4 regardless of whether char,
short, or long are used. If I use the -fpack-struct option, then
sizeof(u) becomes 1/2/4 for char/short/long respectively.

On gcc x86, i get sizeof(u) = 1/2/4 for char/short/long without
-fpack-struct.

Martin is on to something about using pointers. The pointer already
"knows" how to access char/short/long integers. The disadvantage of
using pointers is their storage space and the indirection to the actual
data. For example, a system with 50 8-bit registers would require
50*sizeof(char*) bytes to store the pointers.

I'd prefer that the bitfield manipulate the data directly, so that, for
example:

union hardware_reg
{
    bitfield<uint16_t, 4, 8> bf1;
};
hardware_reg a;
a.bf = val;

is equivalent to:

uint16_t a;
a = (a & 0xfff0) | ( (val & 0x000f) << 4 );

rather than:

uint16_t a;
uint16_t* p = &a;
*p = (*p & 0xfff0) | ( (val & 0x000f) << 4 );

I've got another way of doing bitfields up my sleeve that is not as
syntactically pretty as C++ bitfields, but may be much more portable.
I'll let you know when I've uploaded "version 2" to the Boost vault.