From: Pavel Vozenilek (pavel_vozenilek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-10 01:17:36

"Kim Barrett" wrote:

>> 1. Latest Windows do not support POSIX interface, unless I misread
>> something.
>
> Yes, I think that's correct. But I think Windows *does* support the
> SysV shared memory API.

Searching for this I found:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnucmg/html/UCMGch02.asp

Windows do provide Posix personality and in addition
another company (Interix, those who leaked Windows source code)
added even "more comprehensive" Unix layer.

However: the Interix stuff needs to be bought and I personally never
saw how and where to access the Posix API.
(It is not in standard SDK.)

I think normal (Windows) programmers would avoid library trying to force
them into such exotics.

One option may be to use Cygwin (or use similar approach
as Cygwin does but this doesn't feel attractive neither.

/Pavel