From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-14 14:06:13

> Really? When did they switch? When aCC began development, it was
> done by Daveed Vandevoorde who later joined EDG (IIRC), but I can't
> find anywhere that shows aCC uses EDG.

Running config_info after building with aCC shows it defines
__EDG_RUNTIME_USES_NAMESPACES which is an EDG front end define. No other
EDG compiler macros appear to be defined however, so it does appear to be
EDG based, it's just pretending not to be :-)

> I don't have an up to date version anymore as we long ago had to move
> to gcc because of aCC's woeful advanced C++/Boost support, so I can't
> check.
>
> If they were using it, it might be worthwhile to switch back for HP's
> better optimizing.

They're latest Itanium compiler is actually pretty good at compiling Boost
code IMO, although I've only used parts of Boost with that compiler (it did
handle Boost.Lambda perfectly though which is a good sign).

John.