From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-20 14:33:02

Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> are there any plans to add functions to Boost.Filesystem to get different
> default directories such as get_user_home_dir(), get_app_config_dir(),
> get_system_config_dir() et.al.?
>
> On Windows these probably would map directly to the SHGetFolderLocation()
> function, on *nix based systems these could map to some equivalent
> environment variable (i.e. $HOME) or some convention (i.e. system config
> files are in /etc/...). Surely there are some conventions for other systems
> as well.

While this does indeed sound convenient, I'm afraid other than $HOME there are
no such conventions. Or rather, there are too many to choose. I believe
for 'system config' and 'application config' at least this belongs into
the domain of applications, not system libraries. I wouldn't expect such
features in a library such as boost_filesystem.

Regards,
                Stefan