From: Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve (rwgk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-22 09:56:02

--- John Maddock <john_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Folks we still haven't solved the outstanding issue summarised here:
> http://lists.boost.org/boost-users/2005/12/15692.php
>
> Defining BOOST_SP_USE_PTHREADS is at least a workaround. Should I apply
> this to Boost.Config or should the sp_counted_base.hpp logic be altered (to
> keep everything in one place)? Or does anyone believe they have a fix for
> the assembly code in time for 1.34?

I am not sure this is relevant, but just in case:
Recently I got Boost.Python to work under HP-UX using the native cc/aCC
compilers. Before I got all the switches right I had "mysterious" crashes
(Abort, Segfault, Bus error). In the end it turned out (thanks to Boris
Gubenko!) that the crashes resulted from violating this rule: if you link with
-lpthread you have to compile with -mt.
I don't know how this applies to g++, but I can imagine that one has to be
generally very careful using -mt and -lpthread consistently. Python's configure
(Python 2.4.2) definitely doesn't get it right without intervention. I am
wondering if the g++ installation may also need intervention.
BTW: The smart_ptr_test works fine with HP's aCC compiler on the public
testdrive machine.
Cheers,
        Ralf