From: Martin Wille (mw8329_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-22 16:33:02

Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> Martin Wille wrote:
>
>>Vladimir Prus wrote:

>>>The 'dl' is already added in CVS, we've talked with Martin about it and
>>>figured out that on some Unixes Python links to dl and on others don't.
>>

>>Not only on "some Unixes"; the way libpython gets built on Linux systems
>>differs among the different distributions.
>>
>>We also know of having to add -lutil for pty related functions.
>

> The way this is typically solved is by querying the library / tool about
> its dependencies (via autotools, i.e. configure, say).
> I'm not sure whether boost.build has something equivalent...

In case of Python, everything should be built in.

Using

  python -c "import distutils.sysconfig; print\
  distutils.sysconfig.get_config_var('LIBS')

one can query a lot of information from the installed Python package.
Among the interesting variables to query are:

  LIBS, LIBPL, VERSION, LIBDIR, LIBDEST

Using those, the build system could figure out most, probably even all,
it needs.

Regards,