From: Marcus Mendenhall (marcus.h.mendenhall_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-26 13:28:47

I have started trying to templatize c2_functions, but I have a
question for the Boost group. Realistically, this class is fairly
meaningless for anything other than double and long double types. I
also have a long, enduring distaste for c++ templates and, as a
result, little deep competence with them. The process of making it
into working template classes which are also fairly easy to use will
be very slow for me. For the 99% of users who will always use this
with double, also, the need to declare every items with <double>
after it, or even with <> for things which can be defaulted, is ugly
and will likely reduce the user base.

Would it be objectionable to the Boost concept to release a basic
version of the which is strictly for doubles, with the knowledge
that, for the few people who want it for long doubles, this can be
done with a global search & substitute, and then to plan later for a
successor to this which is fully templatized?

I see this as a package which, in its current, template-free form,
can be essentially spun off except for improving the documentation.
The algorithms in it are simple and robust, and the code should be
highly portable, so I doubt it will every need much maintenance. I
think there is a fairly decent reason to make it available soon,
since there appears to be a significant need for it, and to learn if
real users need it structured differently.

Marcus