From: Paul Joseph Panaro (pjpanaro_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-26 22:18:52

By default shared_ptr is now compiled to be non thread safe (I could be
wrong here, I am confused by all of the conflicting comments I have
seen). It is also compiled this why in my local version. It seems that
the delete/cleanup is the only problem since the reference count seems to
be wrapped into a atomic function. Since I really cannot control the
deletion/going out of scope of the pointers, is shared_ptr any use in a
threaded application? I was looking to see if writing my own "deleter"
would solve this program (one that I could make it thread safe), but it
looks like this gets called after the part where it is determined if the
deleter should be called.

So what are your choices if you are multithreaded?