From: Joaquín Mª López Muñoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-28 07:19:44

Markus Schöpflin ha escrito:

> Joaquín Mª López Muñoz wrote:
>
> > When merging changes in boost/index.htm from HEAD to
> > RC_1_34_0, seems like there's no way to have both branch
> > and trunk to show *exactly* the same contents, as the
> > CVS $Date$ facility kicks in on every commit thus automatically
> > desynching files when a merge is tried. This $Date$ stuff can
> > be seen at about the end of index.htm:

> > So, the result (if I'm not wrong) is that you'll always have merge
> > conflicts when synching this file between trunk and branch, or
> > the other way around, no matter how carefully you play with
> > merge ops and merged_to_RC_xx tags.
> >
> > * Is this really so, and it's a (minor) problem we have to live with?
> > * Am I wrong and there's a way to handle the issue?
>
> http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/cvs-1.11.21/cvs_5.html#SEC64
>
> Does this help?

Yep, seems like this solves at least half the problem --merging will
cause no conflicts, but the automatically filled $Date$ will differ
across branches.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to find a way to plug -kk into TortoiseCVS:
allegedly .cvsrc is supported for this kind of things, but looks like it is
ignored nonetheless. Anyway, this is a private problem :) thanks for your
help.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo