From: Phil Nash (phil.nash.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-29 09:31:16

David Abrahams wrote:
> Phil Nash <phil.nash.lists_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> What about the array form?
>
> IMO it's not a very important use case, but if we have to support it,
> it would have accept the T[N] form and return shared_array:
>
> new_<int[50]>();
>
> interestingly, I think there's only a viable zero-argument form for
> this ctor, so forwarding may not be of interest (?)

Very true. For me, at least, that does kinda remove the need.

>> Would it be worth going as far as to add static functions to the
>> boost smart pointer classes that do the same thing,
>
> Yes.
>
>> and even hidding their raw pointer constructors away so they can
>> only be created using the safer factory methods?
>
> Probably not.
>
>> Obviously that last step would break existing code, but it would
>> only break the largely unsafe uses.
>
> Except for the few safe ones :(

I see that Larry has been talking about much the same thing.
It wouldn't be the first time that boost has changed an interface to
make it safer, even though it breaks older code. I suppose the
difference is that the smart pointers are probably the most used classes
  of the whole of boost!

It could be done in stages, with the raw pointer and maybe auto_ptr
constructors retained but deprecated, and later removed. Not sure if
that helps much.

In any case, it would need to be put to some vote once some concrete
proposals are in place. I'd still urge you not to rule it out at this stage.

Thanks and regards,

[)o
IhIL..