From: Markus Schöpflin (markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-03 11:09:52

Robert Ramey wrote:

> For the last 24 hrs, I've been getting the following when I try to
> update from CVS. Is this just me or is there some general problem?

An update has been posted to sf.net, looks like we're going to have to live
a little longer with this.

<quote>
( 2006-04-03 05:55:21 - Project CVS Service )
On 2006-03-30 the developer CVS server had a substantial system failure.
Due to the implementation of the CVS service, there is a single point of
failure with multiple points of recovery (there is more than one data
source we could potentially recover from if there is any data loss as a
result of the failure). This outage currently affects developer CVS access
directly, but we have disabled tarball updates and data syncs from the
developer CVS server to the anonymous pserver/ViewCVS hosts as an
additional level of precaution. Our main focus since the outage was
detected has been to safegaurd all data on the developer CVS server as well
as possible. We are currently attempting to backup the data on the host,
which is taking longer than we initially anticipated it would, but is a
necessary step to fully safegaurd the host's data. Next, we are going to
perform some data validation to ensure the data set appears valid. Pending
successful completion of those steps, we'll reenable developer CVS access.
A few days after, we'll reenable CVS tarballs and syncs to anonymous CVS.
In the mean time, we're currently advancing plans for a CVS architecture
change based upon the knowledge we gained during Subversion deployment to
eliminate the single point of failure that developer CVS currently has, add
horizontal scalability and overall service resiliance. However, we still do
not have an estimate on when developer CVS services will be restored, but
we have been, and currently are actively working to restore access to CVS.
We appreciate your patience with us while we work to properly resolve this
major outage.
</quote>

Markus