From: Paul Giaccone (paulg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-04 10:47:54

Philipp Thomas wrote:

>* Paul Giaccone (paulg_at_[hidden]) [20060404 11:34]:
>

>>* German ë, ö and ü can be replaced by ae, oe and ue respectively - this
>>is standard practice in German.
>>

>No, you can't simply replace it, specially in names, as you loose the ability
>to discern those names that actually do contain ae, oe or ue. In these cases
>the old TeX way of writing them would be preferable.

Ah, I was under the impression that they were always interchangeable
(and that you could always write "Gerhard Schroeder" for "Gerhard
Schröder" [the former Chancellor of Germany]). As you are German, I
assume, and my knowledge of German is very limited, I'm sure you know
better than I do.

However, if this is the only objection to doing this, surely it a small
price to pay. It is very unlikely that Boost will have two developers
whose names differ in this way, and even if that should happen, there
are other ways that they could be distinguished (for example, "Klaus
Schroeder who wrote the X library" and "Klaus Schroeder who wrote the Y
library", or "Klaus Schroeder (I)" and "Klaus Schroeder (II)" (rather
like the system IMDb uses for namesakes).

When you say "the old TeX way", do you mean writing \~n for n-tilde, for
example? I'm not sure Joaquin would like to see his last name written as
Mu\~noz - to me, it looks ugly or like it has been mistyped or mangled.
No, to me, this makes the names difficult to read and can't be the
appropriate solution.

Paul