From: Felipe Magno de Almeida (felipe.m.almeida_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-08 05:12:09

On 4/8/06, Pavel Vozenilek <pavel_vozenilek_at_[hidden]> wrote:

[snip]

> While this and similar tricks are forbidden by Standard
> almost all current compilers are so "buggy"
> to support the feature. Comeau has even special switch
> to enable the feature.

But is it worth becoming "existing practice"? As mentioned in boost web-page.

[snipped]

> Generally, if something useful can be done
> because of widely present "bug" it is worth to consider.
> Boost.Typeof uses VC6 bug to implement
> otherwise impossible typeof there.

It uses an emulation on compilers that dont support "native typeof".
So that it can be used anyway. Now, if the compilers become less
buggy, then we'll have to fix lots of code because it became an idiom
relying on a bug-feature, since there isnt any workaround for a
conforming compiler.

--
Felipe Magno de Almeida