From: Jarl Lindrud (jlindrud_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-10 02:04:07

Felipe Magno de Almeida <felipe.m.almeida <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Looks very interesting, but why the macros are needed?

The macros generate C++ class definitions, with user-specified member functions.
 You can't do that with templates. The use of macros, in this case, results in
lot less boilerplate code for the user to write.

> Sorry if I missed the explanation in the url, I went very fast in it.
> Are you aware of Boost.Interfaces (not submitted to boost for review
> yet, I think).
> Google pointed this URL for boost.interfaces: http://www.cdiggins.com/bil.html

I've had a look at it, and it builds on the same idea (static interfaces) that
RCF does. It's much more general, though. In RCF, the static interfaces are
focused on implementing IPC's.

The BIL library uses macros too, BTW, for the same purpose that RCF uses them.

I know there's a lot of skepticism towards macros in general, but in this
setting, the alternative is a 3rd party code generator, or do-it-by-hand
boilerplate coding.

Jarl.