From: Bronek Kozicki (brok_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-10 05:18:57

Maxim Yegorushkin <maxim.yegorushkin_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> All developers I know roll out their own versions of lexical_cast.
> Last time I checked the implementation of boost::lexical_cast it had
> efficiency bugs. There at least should be specializations for string
> -> integer/double conversions that use strtoul/d functions directly
> rather than iostreams.

the other problem that I have with lexical_cast is that currently it's
impossible to tell whether particular conversion will fail without
actually catching exception (which implies huge performance penalty).
This is needed in all situations where "invalid" input is not an error
(eg. optional data coming from external source)

B.