From: Douglas Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-12 20:35:10

On Apr 12, 2006, at 5:36 PM, Paul Mensonides wrote:

> [...]

The program is ill-formed and the compiler will report an ambiguity
when type-checking the template definition.

> Is the name resolution related to the seed is implicitly added to
> the concept
> requirements that are checked immediately prior to instantiation?
> Or is the
> name resolution done during normal instantiation (with a restricted
> set of
> possible bindings)?

The latter.

>> [*] Yes, instantiation can still fail if partial ordering of
>> function templates returns an ambiguity. We can synthesize it
>> all we want, but it has yet to actually bite us in practice.
>
> Well, it seems like an reasonable tradeoff--though I guarantee that
> the above
> will bite eventually (which is no worse than what we have now).

Everything will bite you eventually, unless you give up
specialization entirely. For more information on the issue, see:

Jaakko Järvi, Douglas Gregor, Jeremiah Willcock, Andrew Lumsdaine,
and Jeremy Siek. Algorithm specialization in generic programming:
Challenges of constrained generics in C++.
Note: Accepted for publication in PLDI, June 2006.

        Doug