From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-13 10:56:56

Peter Dimov wrote:

> This is a pretty common view, but C++ has been missing essential standard
> libraries for more than ten years, and it still competes with Java.

The places where C++ competes are shrinking rapidly from what I'm seeing
in the 'real-world'. It's a combination of factors including faster
machines with more memory, better performance for scripted/interpreted
languages, lack of education (schools don't teach C++ as much), and lack
of libraries. More worrisome, some places where you would think C++
would dominate (high performance web backends, for example) it simply
doesn't compete because of a lack of libraries. Java doesn't dominate
in the development of web-backends b/c it's a better language -- it's
all about the libraries and tools built on top...

All this said, C++ isn't going anywhere -- there are millions and
millions of lines of C++ in existing projects that will be maintained
for decades to come. And in some domains the performance advantages of
C++ are still important.

> C++
> simply doesn't play by the marketing rule that whoever has the more
> checkboxes wins. It doesn't even have garbage collection! An automatic loss,
> you'd think.

Of course C++ has garbage collection -- it's one library Java just
doesn't have ;-)

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/

Jeff