From: Daniel Walker (daniel.j.walker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-15 15:06:41

On 4/15/06, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> "Daniel Walker" <daniel.j.walker_at_[hidden]> writes:

> >> Not if you happen to have a type that is both a valid range and a
> >> valid function object.
> >>
> >> Yes, that's a corner case, but it's the corner of a large floating
> >> block of ice.
> >
> > For this idiom, I use boost::iterator_range like so,
> >
> > fn( Iterator first, Iterator last )
> > fn( Iterator first, Iterator last, Functor f )
> > fn( boost::iterator_range<Iterator> rng )
> > fn( boost::iterator_range<Iterator> rng, Functor f )
>
> This is not generic. Now you can't pass other valid Ranges
> (e.g. std::vector<T>) as the first argument to fn.

Yeah, I know. This is just a work-around because the generic version
isn't possible today due to the overload ambiguity. You can indirectly
use the functions with other valid Ranges like vector, but it's a
hassle because you first have to convert them using
make_iterator_range(). In some circumstances, for the time being, this
may be acceptable for this particular idiom (overloading algorithms to
take both iterators and ranges), but really I agree that it further
illustrates the need for in-language support for concepts in a future
version of C++ in order to make the overloads generic.

Daniel Walker