From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-16 11:42:56

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:40:07 +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote
> On 4/15/06, Jeff Garland <jeff_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > > for example) following the advice of people from this list.
> >
> > I don't think the mentoring can be as general as 'people from the list'. We
> > need to have specific people/organizations identified.
>
> Sure not. Some specific mentors (one, two) would need to be
> specified for each project. But they could ask the students to post
> their questions in the open (that is, in this list) for wider
> discussion. That's why I said "people from this list".

Ok, but I don't think that works in general. Having been a student mentor a
couple times in other contexts, it requires a certain amount of adminstrative
and other guidance that I don't think can rightly come from the Boost list.
For review of technical approaches and other questions the list would be fine.

> > We'll need to submit a
> > request and such:
> >
> > http://code.google.com/soc/mentorfaq.html
>
> So... I'm curious. Are you going to do it? :-)

Personally I'm thinking I would be smart not to take on another project. I
have a cronic habit of getting over-booked (is there a 12 step program for
this problem ;-) -- anyway, I'm hoping we will be able to support a number
of projects. Actually, I'm a little suprised there hasn't been more response
to your post. I'm starting a discussion amoungst the moderators about how we
want to organize to take this on.

Jeff