From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-17 21:54:08

Rene Rivera wrote:
> Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>> I'v just built boost using
>>
>> 'bjam -sBUILD="release <threading>multi" --layout=system'
>>
>> and I notice that all library names contain an 'mt' tag, which
>> I thought would be suppressed with the --layout=system option.
>> Unfortunately, I'm unable to find documentation for the --layout
>> option, so I can't verify whether I remembered it wrongly.
>
> You are remembering incorrectly, it only removes the version numbers
> and toolset names from the libraries. Anything else would cause
> conflicts with the different types of libraries that can be built.

Yes, I'm aware of this danger. But since my system (Fedora Core 5)
contains boost libraries (release 1.33, I think) all without the 'mt' tag,
and as I thought at least some would be compiled with multithread
support, I concluded something was wrong.
(Writing these lines I realize I'm still not sure I understand what
'multithread support' actually means in this context.)

Thanks for the clarification !

>> Thus I have two questions:
>>
>> * Where can I find complete documentation for options such as
>> --layout ? (I'm not even sure this is part of bjam, or boost.build,
>> or something entirely different.)
>
> Hm, there's no "complete" documentation for that option. It's only part
> of the boost-root/Jamfile, so it's neither part of bjam of boost.build.

Ah, I see. But that shouldn't be a reason not to document it somewhere
on boost.org, should it ? ;-)

Thanks,
                Stefan