From: Alexei Alexandrov (alexei.alexandrov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-18 08:50:03

Joaquín Mª López Muñoz <joaquin <at> tid.es> writes:

> Thanks for the compliments! BTW, what do you use the lib for? (if you can
> disclose that info, of course.)

I use it as kind of in-memory database - very simple for now but evolving. I
fill the container using hash index and then I need to iterate over the
elements by ordered indexes. At first, I was considering using std::hash_map
extensions, but the problem is that I need it both on Windows and Linux and I
have to use default MSVC and GCC STL - and their hash map-s are different.
Moreover, on Windows I write for Itanium and AMD64/EM64T as well and STL that
is shipped with Platform SDK for those architecture is pretty old - old (but
not good) Dinkumware without any hash_map-s at all.

So I needed universal solution for hash container for Windows/Linux all
architectures. This is how I decided to evaluate boost.multi_index. And also,
it's very amusing to dig through multi_index sources - it's like a puzzle...