From: Walter Landry (wlandry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-19 11:28:10

Martin Wille <mw8329_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Walter Landry wrote:
> > Martin Wille wrote:
>
> >>See http://boost.org/libs/filesystem/doc/path.htm#constructors
> >>and http://boost.org/libs/filesystem/doc/portability_guide.htm
> >

> > Having been a user of filesystem for quite a while, I really think it
> > is time to turn off any default checking. This is hardly the first
> > time that we have seen this kind of non-error cause a problem.
>

> I see two other possible improvements:
>
> 1. remove the default, requiring the user always to pass a checker.
> This will definitely stop the guessing among the users.
>
> 2. make the error message contain a hint that the default checker might
> be the wrong choice.

Both of these options make the user learn about things that they
should not have to learn about. Just get rid of default checking. If
people want to ensure that all paths that pass through their program
will be valid on some arbitrary set of filesystems, then they can set
that themselves. The filesystem library should not be my nanny.

Cheers,
Walter Landry
wlandry_at_[hidden]