From: Walter Landry (wlandry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-19 13:23:20

me22 <me22.ca_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 4/19/06, Walter Landry <wlandry_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > Both of these options make the user learn about things that they
> > should not have to learn about. Just get rid of default checking. If
> > people want to ensure that all paths that pass through their program
> > will be valid on some arbitrary set of filesystems, then they can set
> > that themselves. The filesystem library should not be my nanny.
> >

> The library, however, /should/ make the default thing the right thing,
> as it does now.

It is _not_ doing the right thing. It is giving errors for valid
paths. It adds complexity to codes that don't need it. The code that
started this thread should have worked.

> I think a better option would be to add " If you don't know why this
> path is invalid, read
> http://boost.org/libs/filesystem/doc/portability_guide.htm#name_check%AD_functions
> " to the exception's .what() message in debug mode.

This still makes people learn about path checking when they should not
have to. Don't make me think.

Cheers,
Walter Landry
wlandry_at_[hidden]