From: Ivan Vecerina (ivec_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-19 18:57:55

"Sebastian Redl" <sebastian.redl_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
: Marcin Kalicinski wrote:
:
: >Agreed. I thought about it before, and came to a conclusion that the
best
: >way to implement it is to use preprocessor constant to allow user
specify
: >default separator, e.g. BOOST_PROPERTY_TREE_SEPARATOR.
: >
: >
: I disagree. I think this should be a runtime per-tree setting, not
: something set at compile time. I also think it would be quite trivial to
do.

Why do you care to have this as a per-tree setting ???

So now, say that someone writes a library function to read a ptree
into a struct EmployeeInfo. Unless this function explicitly
specifies the separator at every call, it will fail if you pass
it a tree that is configured to use a different separator ?

I'd much rather have a universal default ( . or / ), guaranteed,
that I can use in all my "item paths".
And maybe, if there is a reason to think that it will be useful,
the ability to specify a custom separator for a call. But
what is the point?

Ivan