From: Marcin Kalicinski (kalita_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-20 08:51:14

> But the key point is: the function that uses a path string also
> knows which separator it intended to use in its notation. Storing
> the separator as a property of the tree goes against encapsulation.

Additionally, it is not very feasible. You have to remember that tree is a
recursive structure. How do we make sure that all nodes contain the same
default separator?

> I would just pick a default separator. I don't care which choice
> is made, but '/' makes sense.

I think any choice of default separator has drawbacks. For example '/' is
commonly found in filesystem paths or web addresses, so it would complicate
life for quite many users. I could pick some really obscure character, like
back-apostrophe or ^, but that would render paths quite unreadable. So I
decided to stick to a dot.

Marcin